[linux-cifs-client] CIFS userhome and KMail

Bj ø rn Tore Sund bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
Sat Nov 3 11:17:39 GMT 2007

On 2/11/07 14:27, "Wilhelm Meier" <wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Wilhelm Meier wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we are using cifs userhomes mounted from a samba server.
>>>
>>> All is well exept for kmail. kmail crashes reproducible with segv(!).
>>>
>>> If we try this on the serverside with the local ext3-fs as userhome it
>>> works. Strange enough: if we then use this userhome over the
>>> samba/linx-cifs mount, it works also.

Permanently?  Or just the next time you run it?

> kmux-svc:/# dpkg -l | grep samba
> ii  libcrypt-smbhash-perl           0.12-1
> generate LM/NT hash of a password for samba
> ii  samba                           3.0.26a-1                       a
> LanManager-like file and printer server fo
> ii  samba-common                    3.0.26a-1                       Samba
> common files used by both the server a
> kmux-svc:/#

Haven't tested these, but they definitely should be new enough.

>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

These really shouldn't be necessary anymore, and might have destabilizing
effects if you set them when you don't need them.

>         Dos charset = 850
>         Unix charset = ISO8859-1

This _might_ be your problem.  I hope you're not serving both Linux and
Windows clients from this samba server, because the Dos charset should be
set to whatever you're running on your linux clients - presumably ISO8859-1.
Serving Windows and Linux from the same samba server is a bad idea anyhow,
in particular "mangled names=no" can cause Real Problems(tm) on Windows
clients when they start seeing file names with colons or other odd
characters in them.

> Attached you find the kmail trace.

Which indicated the problem is between kmail and dcop.  Everything seems to
indicate some file is not being created properly over the cifs file system,
or is created wrong, somehow.  A character set mismatch could cause that.

Bjørn Tore Sund       Phone: 555-84894   Email:   bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
IT department         VIP:   81724       Support: http://bs.uib.no
Univ. of Bergen

When in fear and when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.