[linux-cifs-client] CIFS userhome and KMail

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Fri Nov 2 14:17:08 GMT 2007

Hi,

> Wilhelm Meier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we are using cifs userhomes mounted from a samba server.
>>
>> All is well exept for kmail. kmail crashes reproducible with segv(!).
>>
>> If we try this on the serverside with the local ext3-fs as userhome it
works. Strange enough: if we then use this userhome over the
>> samba/linx-cifs mount, it works also.
>>
>> We use the serverino option to make kde happy.
>>
>> We tried: linux-cifs-1.49/1.50c and debian/samba stable and testing.
>>
>> Any hints?
>
> What version of the Samba server are you running?

kmux-svc:/# dpkg -l | grep samba
ii  libcrypt-smbhash-perl           0.12-1
generate LM/NT hash of a password for samba
ii  samba                           3.0.26a-1                       a
LanManager-like file and printer server fo
ii  samba-common                    3.0.26a-1                       Samba
common files used by both the server a
kmux-svc:/#

I've never had issues
> reported on this, on the other hand kmail sucks so badly in lots of
other ways that we try to steer users away from it so the volume is low
here.  But there are those who use it...  Our setup is Samba 3.0.24 on
SLES 10 SP1, and whatever cifs-client comes with fedora core 6 and 7.
Serverino is the only magic we do clientside, serverside the file system
settings are:
>          unix extensions = yes
>          kernel oplocks = yes
>          posix locking = yes
>          strict locking = no
>          locking = yes
>          wide links = yes
>          mangled names = no

This is the glbal section:

[global]
        workgroup = kmux
        netbios name = kmux
        security = user
        enable privileges = yes
        server string = KMUX File Server %h
        encrypt passwords = Yes
#       ldap passwd sync = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd -u %u
        passwd chat = "Changing password for*\nNew password*" %n\n
"*Retype new password*" %n\n"
        log level = 1
        syslog = 1
        syslog only = yes
        time server = Yes

        enhanced browsing = yes
        unix extensions = yes
        kernel oplocks = yes
        posix locking = yes
        strict locking = no
        locking = yes
        wide links = yes
        mangled names = no
        delete readonly = no
        ea support = yes
        Dos charset = 850
        Unix charset = ISO8859-1

        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://192.168.222.13/
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=kmux,dc=de
        ldap suffix = dc=kmux,dc=de
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap user suffix = ou=Users