[linux-cifs-client] Re: Query pertaining to PLAINTXT PASSWORD authentication

Joel Krajden joelk at encs.concordia.ca
Thu Nov 1 22:06:59 GMT 2007

Hi Steve,

We have just  been sniffing the network to try and find out why the
connection from the cifs.vfs client 1.49 will not succeed when
communicating with our netapp filer or a current samba server when
configured for plain text passwords.

In windows (XP) when we send in plaintext the username and password are
sent in unicode and the filer and samba server accept the connection.

In linux if we tell the cifs client to use plaintext it sends username
and password in ascii and the filer and samba refuse with permission denied.

The locale of the linux client is set to utf-8 and setting the io
charset to utf-8 still does not change the username/password string
being sent to unicode.

The cif client does claim it is using unicode and the filer or samba
server do return the workgroup name in unicode to the client but
username/password are sent in ascii.

Setting the samba server or filer to use encrypted passwords
works fine with the client set 0x37 for security.

Joel

--
| Joel Krajden           | Rm: EV-7105,  Tel: 514 848-2424 3052    |
| Senior Systems Analyst | Fax: 514 848-2830                       |