[linux-cifs-client] Re: [mount.cifs] character set conversion

George Thanos gthanos at admin.grnet.gr
Fri May 18 10:26:49 GMT 2007

> mount.smbfs or mount.cifs  (they are not related, mount.smbfs is not
> needed for cifs mounts)

You are right! This was a mistype. I meant mount.cifs!

>> A similar question has been posted in this list (subject: charset
>> convertion issue with linux mount.cifs and samba 3.0.23 at Oct
>> 16,2006), but no appropriate answer was provided then.

The problem was actually solved with a combination of using LANG env
variable as el_GR.iso8859-7, modifying my locale accordingly and mount
using iocharset=iso8859-7 argument.

In a Suse distribution with 2.6.13 it did not require the iocharset
argument in order to mount correctly, but it did still require to change
the LANG variable to el_GR.

Thanks for helping,

- George