[linux-cifs-client] Identify a host

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Sun May 13 17:06:06 GMT 2007

I'm trying to implement cifs instead of smbmount. I'm using SuSE 10.2
on the client machine and 10.0 on the server.

As I understand it from the manual, if I have mount.cifs installed
(which I have), I should be able to specify a host name instead of an
ipaddress when specifying a share name. However, I find that, if I
don't specify the share name, the mount command can't find the host.

The host is visible via network manager, smbclient, etc. So what should
I do to do a cifs mount that I'm not doing?

The workaround, I know, is simple. I should include the ipaddress in the
various scripts which attempt to mount the share. Unfortunately,
there's more than one particular share that can be mounted on more than
one host. And there's more than one reason to mount a share, which
means more than one script.

And then there's the fact that the the ip address is given by the
router, so it may change if I make changes to the configuration. Which
will mean changing every script if it happens.

So you understand why I'd prefer to get the mount command to identify
the host, if at all possible,

--
 All the best,
 John