[linux-cifs-client] Re: Some things change, and its not a good, thing CIFS/SAMBA

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Fri May 4 18:54:47 GMT 2007

Paul Edgar wrote,

>Seems to have changed and not for the better.
>
>I have a server that has a number of iso images.  I can mount the server
>directory with either cifs or nfs to a local directory.
>
>However, when I attempt to mount -o loop /server/dir/file.iso /mnt I
>receive a permission denied.
>
>So I end up copying the files with cp to the local machine and then
>mount -o loop the iso images.
>
>Where did I go wrong, what changed and should I use Windows instead of
>FC5 for the server(a joke here about windows)?
>
>Just want it to work like it used to.  No extra forgetful flags, etc....
>
>Paul Edgar

I am not convinced that anything changed that would matter for your
description.
I just mounted as you describe over cifs with no problem after I realized
that Linux loopback mounts open CD images read/write (not read-only).
You must
have write permission on the server .iso file to do mount lookback with
default flags as you
describe (does not matter whether your server is windows or Linux)

    mount -o loop /server/dir/file.iso /mnt

If you mount the iso readonly:
    mount -r -o loop /server/dir/file.iso /mnt

it will work (or change the access control on the server file).  You
also may want to turn off permission checking on the client side
(via cifs client mount option "noperm") if your uids on client and server
do not match.