[linux-cifs-client] Re: SMB2 file system - should it be a distinct module

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri May 4 17:12:00 GMT 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 09:46:05AM -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Simo,
>
> > I guess DFS referrals can work cross protocol, so if you are redirected
> > from a longhorn server to a windoes 2000 or a samba server you want to
> > be able to follow the DFS referral and not return an error.
> > To do that you need to have either 1 module that support both protocols
> > or a way from one module to call the other. Just separating the 2
> > without any glue will not work (or you will have to add some userspace
> > upcall hack to make it work).
>
> Long term I agree that CIFS and SMB2 should be in the same .ko

Actually I disagree. I think Christoph is correct. These
are two independent protocols and should be in two different
modules.

> But NTLM 0.12 still works for Vista and DFS referrals.
> Breaking out SMB2 initially means that it will not clutter
> the working cifs.ko code.  Remember that an SMB2 client fs is
> mostly research at this point, and not engineering.

Long term the common functions should be factored out
and put into a lower-level module that both cifs and
SMB2 are dependent upon.

That's the cleaner solution IMHO.

Jeremy.