[linux-cifs-client] Re: Can't mount NAS device

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 29 21:04:52 GMT 2007

strace did show something useful
	mount(...) = -1 ENOTDIR (Not a directory)

and then that led me to spotting the obvious bug which is
on your NAS device (server).  The server is returning a
malformed (illegal) response.

The Linux cifs client was getting a 22 byte response to a level 0x200
(FILE_UNIX_BASIC_INFO) request that is supposed to be 100 bytes.

Basically connecting the mount to the server succeeded but
the stat of "." (the top directory in the mount) failed
since it is not recognized as a directory.

When you disable the Unix Extensions on the client ie
	echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
you bypass the bug on the server, because the response to
the call which is malformed is not issued (and an older
infolevel is requested).

If your server vendor produces a fix let me know and I can add
the information about the required level of server to
the Linux cifs client "how-to" / user's guide.