[linux-cifs-client] DFS-CIFS patch?

Q (Igor Mammedov) qwerty0987654321 at mail.ru
Fri Mar 30 06:35:22 GMT 2007

Rich Browne wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I too am inquiring about DFS support in CIFS.  I moved up the 2.6.20
> kernel (compiled with EXPERIMENTAL options and debugging routines) and
> couldn't mount the DFS referral point.  I have the latest version of
> smbclient (v. 3.0.24) and I can navigate DFS without any problems, but
> I'm really looking to get the mount support in the kernel.  I'm still
> getting the remote object error...
>
> e.g.
>
> mount -t cifs -o
> credentials=/root/.credfile //MyDomain/TestDFS /root/test
> mount error 66 = Object is remote
>
> I can mount the underlying shares without any problem too
>
> Reading the archives, I discovered a patch for the 2.6.19.1 kernel
> delivered by Q, thanks.  I applied this patch to the cifs source in this
> kernel and tried the same mount command, but the mount failed with the
> same error.
>
> Is there a more recent version of this patch?  I'm a willing guinea
> pig : )  Otherwise, is there a way to query the DFS point to get the
> underlying shares (like with showconnect)?  I would like to write a
> script that would make use of smbclient to emulate mounting a DFS
> referral point.

Currently you cannot mount DFS root using cifs. DFS patch supports only
DFS directories inside of mounted share.
However there is a workaround that can help you. You can mount active
DFS referral of dfs root (it worked for me) .
To find out what share name to use you need pc with ms win then select
connected dfs root properties and there you'll find DFS tab with needed
info.