[linux-cifs-client] trying to mount.cifs a DFS share - system freeze

Q (Igor Mammedov) qwerty0987654321 at mail.ru
Fri Mar 23 12:31:59 GMT 2007

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
 > allen.orlowski at thomson.com schrieb:
 >> Best bet is to mount the hidden share, and not the dfs root.
 >>
 >> So do a Mount.cifs //192.168.10.10/<sharename>$ /mnt/1 -o
 >> username=<user>  //
 >> then prompts you for a password.
 >
 > Well, it's not DFS then.
 >

 > I just noticed that I need to enable "experimental" features in kernel
 > configuration for cifs to be able to use DFS (kernel 2.6.21-rc4). I
 > didn't try if and how it works yet, though.

As far as I know there isn't DFS support in 2.6.21-rc4 (although
description of the experimental feature states it is). At least I don't
see any files from the dfs patch in this kernel source yet.

You can ask Steve when dfs support will be available in kernel releases
or search this list for the dfs patch I've posted here.

 > Anyway, I consider a server freeze a severe bug in cifs code.

Most probably the bug will disappear with dfs support applied to kernel.

--

Best regards,