[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS home mount won't allow KDE to, run

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Mon Jun 25 06:15:30 GMT 2007

Hi Steve,

Am Montag, 25. Juni 2007 04:49 schrieb Steve French:
> >> this is a known problem. Be sure to use the serverino option for
> >> mount.cifs / mounting.
>
> This would be easy enough to add to the cifs user's guide (the master
> copy is kept in samba-docs svn).
>
> Is there something about how to use pam_cifs that I could add?

as the author of pam_cifs I would be glad to see a reference to the project in
the cifs users's guide:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pam-cifs

What is pam_cifs?
pam_cifs is a pluggable authentication module for Linux (Linux-PAM). It allows
you to transparently mount and unmount CIFS-shares from a CIFS (Samba, MS
Windows) file server.  The mount is triggered when the user opens a session
via usual login procedures (ssh, xdm, kdm, ...). The unmount is performed via
an additional daemon shortly after the user logs off and no more user
processes are active.

> Also note that the default is not to use serverino since mount points
> can cross device boundaries (and thus duplicate inode numbers can be
> possible depending on how the server shares are configured) - when we
> finish merging the DFS patch we can use the same concept introduced
> there (ie of "shrinkable mounts" and junctions) to handle the case of a
> server which exports more than one device (and thus workaround duplicate
> inode numbers by doing "implicit mounts")

Wilhelm