[linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs_readpages improvements

Kirill Kuvaldin kuvkir at epsmu.com
Sun Jun 24 18:36:59 GMT 2007

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 02:34:32PM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> What about over mounts over localhost interface?

I haven't found much difference between sync and async version on
localhost mounts, probably, due to a low round trip latency value
(about 0.05ms), which seems to reduce the benefit of async operations
effectively to zero. I've also tried emulating a slow network by
increasing the latency up to several milliseconds -- in that case
async version outperformed the old code by orders of magnitude.

> Assuming that these graphs are with your async changes - do you have
> the baseline comparison with the old code?

Actually those graphs from my previous mail respresent both versions --
the old one (which referred to as read/reread operations) and the one
with my recent changes (which referred to as *async read/reread*
operations).

Kirill