[linux-cifs-client] Help with a compile.

aragonx at dcsnow.com aragonx at dcsnow.com
Fri Jun 22 18:54:33 GMT 2007

I hope this is the right place to post this.  If not I apologize.

I have a group of servers on SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9.3.  This uses
the kernel version 2.6.5-7.244.

I am trying to mount a share on a NAS we just purchased.  The mount works
but file transfer performance is not what is expected.  We can get close
to 40MB/sec from a NFS share and only 11MB/sec using a CIFS share.  Both
are pointing to the same NAS over a gig network.  The server is a Sun
x4600 and has no problem keeping up with the data flow.

We were originally using cifs.ko v1.15 or something like that.  We
downloaded and compiled 1.33.  This did not help our performance so I was
hoping to get 1.48 running.  Does anyone think this will increase
performance?

So, I cannot upgrade the kernel at this time so I would like to compile
the latest CIFS module with this kernel.

Here is what I do:

I downloaded cifs-1.48a.tar.gz.
I uncompress it and copy the files to my
/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-7.244/fs/cifs
cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make menuconfig
Under File Systems -> Network File Systems I select:
   <M> CIFS support (advanced network filesystem for Samba...
   [*]   CIFS statistics
   [*]   CIFS extended attributes (EXPERIMENTAL)
   [*]   CIFS POSIX Extensions (EXPERIMENTAL)

Then I save the config file.
make modules

Then I get the following.  Any help would be appreciated.

fs/cifs/dir.c: In function `cifs_ci_hash':
fs/cifs/dir.c:612: warning: unused variable `codepage'
fs/cifs/dir.c: In function `cifs_ci_compare':
fs/cifs/dir.c:628: warning: unused variable `codepage'
  CC [M]  fs/cifs/file.o
  CC [M]  fs/cifs/inode.o
fs/cifs/inode.c: In function `cifs_get_inode_info_unix':
fs/cifs/inode.c:181: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:183: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:185: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:187: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:189: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:194: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:199: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c: In function `cifs_get_inode_info':
fs/cifs/inode.c:545: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:547: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:549: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:551: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:553: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:557: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c:562: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer
target
         type
fs/cifs/inode.c: In function `cifs_vmtruncate':
fs/cifs/inode.c:1170: warning: implicit declaration of function `IS_SWAPFILE'
fs/cifs/inode.c:1181: error: structure has no member named `rlim'
make[2]: *** [fs/cifs/inode.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [fs/cifs] Error 2
make: *** [fs] Error 2

believed to be clean.