[linux-cifs-client] CIFS home mount won't allow KDE to run

Bjørn Tore Sund bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
Fri Jun 22 11:58:21 GMT 2007

Paul Waldo wrote:
> Wilhelm Meier wrote:
>> Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2007 15:06 schrieb Paul Waldo:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a Linux client that has my home dir mounted from a
>>> fileserver.  I
>>> mount with this line in /etc/fstab:
>>> //alexandria/paul       /home/pwaldo    cifs
>>> credentials=/etc/thecus_credentials.txt    0       0
>>>
>>> When I try to start KDE, it hangs very quickly into the process,
>>> with no
>>> information in .xsession-errors.  I moved ~/.kde out of the way to
>>> start
>>> fresh, and I get this:
>>> WARNING: Problem deleting stale lockfile
>>> /home/pwaldo/.kde/share/config/kpersonalizerrc.lock
>>>

>> this is a known problem. Be sure to use the serverino option for
>> mount.cifs / mounting.
>>

> Thanks for the reply, Wilhelm.  That seemed to do the trick--I can now
> start KDE.  I have two more questions:
> 1. You say this is a known problem.  Is it documented anywhere?  I
> googled (what I thought was) appropriately, but didn't find anything.
> If there is a list of known issues, I'd like to become aware of them.
Wilhelm knew about it. :)

You'll find the question answered a few times on mailing lists, but not
often - Linux CIFS home directories with KDE (Gnome works fine without
serverino, or at least used to) just isn't done all that often.  I've
never seen it anywhere official.  I know it's in the pam_cifs
documentation because I put it there, but that's not connected to the
cifs project itself.
> 2. Are there any ramifications or gotcha's I need to know about using
> the serverino option?
None that I know of.  You'll have issues if your server doesn't support
sending back real inode numbers (I believe NT4 would give you problems),
but you shouldn't see more breakage than what comes when serverino isn't
specified in the first place.

Bjørn

Bj¯rn Tore Sund       Phone: 555-84894   Email:   bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
IT department         VIP:   81724       Support: http://bs.uib.no
Univ. of Bergen

When in fear and when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.