[linux-cifs-client] Samba file permissions

Paul Edgar javaoops at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 21 17:59:05 GMT 2007

All,

 I have a samba server where the windows and linux users have to
authenticate to access the share.  However, when a user creates a
file/directory the permissions are set to 766 which is the default.

I really need to make these files available to everyone who can access
this share since we do creates and writes for others who should be able
to edit the files or create new files in directories they did not create.

I have set the following in my smb.conf:

[install$]
   comment = install
   path = /install
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   directory mask = 0777
   create mask = 0777

According to the man page, the directory and create mask should make
those items 777 when created, but in reality anything created by one of
the samba users is done so with the default 766 permission.

Am I doing something, wrong here, are there other parameters at play
that I do not know about?  I have recursed the path, and set it to 777
thinking that would fix the issue, but so far no luck.

Paul Edgar
Tivoli Software