[linux-cifs-client] CIFS home mount won't allow KDE to run

Paul Waldo pwaldo at waldoware.com
Fri Jun 15 13:06:18 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I have a Linux client that has my home dir mounted from a fileserver.  I
mount with this line in /etc/fstab:
//alexandria/paul       /home/pwaldo    cifs
credentials=/etc/thecus_credentials.txt    0       0

When I try to start KDE, it hangs very quickly into the process, with no
information in .xsession-errors.  I moved ~/.kde out of the way to start
fresh, and I get this:
WARNING: Problem deleting stale lockfile
/home/pwaldo/.kde/share/config/kpersonalizerrc.lock

I'm not sure why it's complaining, because shell file operations seem to
work OK:
$ ls -l /home/pwaldo/.kde/share/config/kpersonalizerrc.lock
-rwxrwxrw- 1 pwaldo smbusers 26 2007-06-15 08:19
/home/pwaldo/.kde/share/config/kpersonalizerrc.lock

$ rm /home/pwaldo/.kde/share/config/kpersonalizerrc.lock
rm: remove regular file
`/home/pwaldo/.kde/share/config/kpersonalizerrc.lock'? y

$ ls -l /home/pwaldo/.kde/share/config/kpersonalizerrc.lock
ls: /home/pwaldo/.kde/share/config/kpersonalizerrc.lock: No such file or
directory

The reason I think this is a CIFS problem is that I used to mount my
home via NFS without issue, and started encountering this problem when I
switched to CIFS.  Server and client info below.  Thanks for any help
you can provide!

Paul

Server:
---------
Thecus N5200 NAS appliance
Kernel 2.6.13
Samba 3.0.22 (as reported by "smbclient -L alexandria")

Client:
---------
2 * Xeon (dual core)
Kubuntu Fiesty AMD64
Kernel 2.6.19-4-generic-amd64

$ dpkg -l "samba*"
[...]
pn  samba                 <none>                (no description available)
un  samba-client          <none>                (no description available)
ii  samba-common          3.0.24-2ubuntu1.2     Samba common files used
by both the server and the client
pn  samba-dbg             <none>                (no description available)
pn  samba-doc             <none>                (no description available)
pn  samba-doc-pdf         <none>                (no description available)
un  samba-tng-common      <none>                (no description available)