[linux-cifs-client] problem with cifs.mount and codepage

Rainer Lay rainer.lay at gmx.de
Tue Jul 24 10:55:56 GMT 2007

Hi there,

I have a D-Link DNS 323 NAS (with Linux inside).
For mounting it on my linux box, I use mount.cifs, which is nice with
file > 2GB.

I have a problem, when using german Umlauts, which are display wrong in
the mounted device, compared to a windos machine or using konqueror.

I have a workaround in using mount.smbfs with codepage=cp850 argument.
Unfortunatly, smb only supports files less 2GB.
Unfortunatly, mount.cifs is not supporting codepage. In found something
like "mount.cifs is automatically detecting the codepage". Which is
obviously not true in my case.

Any hints?

thanx in advance,
Rainer