[linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs 1.49 return codes

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:39:37 GMT 2007

> I'm sorry to bother you but I cannot find any documentation about cifs error
> codes. When I try to mount a cifs share hosted on a windows R2 x64 server
> with this command…
>

> mount –t cifs //fs8/Ced /mnt/arch –o
> user=tagliapies,pass=password,domain=rubelli.intra,ip=192.168.179.3
>

> I get the following error…
>
> "//fs8/Ced is not a valid block device" while the kernel says "CIFS VFS:
> cifs_mount failed w/return code = -6"
>

> Could you tell me what the -6 return code stands for, or give me an hint on
> where to find some explanations of those error codes?

POSIX error six means "no such device" (the share name may be misspelled)

Use smbclient (e.g. "smbclient -L //fs8") to see the list of shares.

Linux errors are defined in include/asm-generic/errno-base.h and errno.h
The cifs file system is limited in what it can return due to the
relatively small
number of errors defined in the Linux errno files.   Additional

More detailed information on what is causing this can be gotten from
the dmesg log:
1) "dmesg -c"  (clear the error log)
2) "echo 7 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI"  (enabling cifs
informational/debug messages)
3) try the mount and examine the dmesg output ("dmesg")

In addition a quick wireshark trace can often show the problem. See
   http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets
for details on how to do this.

Steve