[linux-cifs-client] Re: partially mounted cifs filesystem

Satyam Sharma satyam.sharma at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 18:08:45 GMT 2007

Hi Albert,

[ added linux-cifs-client to Cc: ]

On 7/7/07, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had one share mounted, from XP to Linux, and wanted another.
> At first I had an incorrect setting on the XP box, almost
> certainly related to permissions. The mount failed of course.
> Running "mount" showed that the filesystem was not mounted,
> but apparently it didn't remain fully unmounted either.
> There was also nothing under the mount point, and the "ls -l"
> data (directory size and link count) looked like ext3.

That means nothing was mounted there ...

> I changed settings on the XP box numerous times. After many
> frustrating attempts, I ran "umount" on the mount point and
> then successfully mounted the filesystem.

... but still umount succeeded? Didn't it complain about nothing
being mounted there in the first place? Surprising that it actually
resolved the problem ...

> I'll guess that the kernel returned an error for my early
> attempts at mounting, but left open a CIFS connection.
>
> I suppose the cifs error handling is buggy.

Yes, that could be the case. Could you please:

1. Tell us which kernel version was it? .config?
2. Was there some dmesg output from the failed mount(2) attempt?
3. What was the mount command line / options?

Then:

1. Rebuild kernel with CIFS_DEBUG2.
2. Revert back (on the XP share export side) to the buggy / incorrect
settings -- so that you can try and reproduce the problem.
3. Let us know if you could reproduce, if so, any debug ouput / etc?

Thanks,
Satyam