[linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs sec=none issue

Matt Woodson mwoodson at gurulabs.com
Mon Jan 29 16:18:47 GMT 2007

Sorry this took me so long to get back to.  I was traveling, and have
now just gotten back to this.

>> All,
>>
>> I'm having an issue with the sec=none option.  I can't seem to get the
>> sec=none option to work. It always seems to pass a username through.
>>

> Are you making sure you pass "user=" on the mount? Something like eg.
>
> mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt -o user=
>
> sec=none should avoids the warning message in dmesg when passing in no
> user (null user).

I am trying this as you suggest..all sorts of parameters.  I still can't
get this to work.  Here is the output from a couple different versions:

------------------------------------try
1---------------------------------------
# mount -t cifs //server/tmp /mnt/tmp -o user=  --verbose
parsing options: rw,user=

skipping empty user mount parameter
Password:

mount.cifs kernel mount options
unc=//station5\tmp,ip=10.100.0.5,user=root,pass=,ver=1,rw
mount error 13 = Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Notice that the user=root is still being set.   Same thing happens if I
put in sec=none.

This try I attempted to put in single quotes to help pass in the variable:
-----------------try
2-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# mount -t cifs //server/tmp /mnt/tmp -o 'user=,sec=none'  --verbose
parsing options: rw,user=,sec=none

skipping empty user mount parameter
Password:

mount.cifs kernel mount options
unc=//station5\tmp,ip=10.100.0.5,user=root,pass=,ver=1,rw,sec=none

Again, still passing the user=root.

 From my understanding from the last post, this shouldn't be happening.
It should be passing in the null user.

For laughs, I actually tried to echo in a null character into the user
but that didn't seem to work either.  I always got "skipping empty user
mount parameter error."

Again,  I am using this on 3 different distros, all produce identical
results, and nothing I can figure out will pass on the null user.

Thanks for any help,

Matt