[linux-cifs-client] Re: Need help mounting Buffalo Terastation onto FC6 system

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 15 16:38:12 GMT 2007

> I have a Buffalo TeraStation Home NAS which, according to Buffalo Tech
> Support, is using Samba 2 (This NAS appears to operate normally in every way
> when accessed from Windows-2000 and from Windows-XP Pro).
>
> I need to mount the Buffalo TeraStation on a Fedora Core 6 Linux system
> which supports CIFS but not SMBFS.
>
> When I mount the NAS onto FC6 using the command "# mount -t cifs
> \\\\NAS\\share /mnt/tmp", the mount appears to complete without error, and
> operation with the NAS is normal so long as there are fewer than 126 user
> files in the NAS directory. When more than 126 files are present, the FC6
> box can no longer list the directory of the NAS.
>
> I worked for a while to try and find how to install SMBFS on the FC6 system,
> but I eventually discovered a discussion thread that pointed out that SMBFS
> had been removed in FC5, and is still not in FC6; the writer of that thread
> suggested that the reader should be using CIFS.
>
> OK, when I mount the Buffalo TeraStation Home NAS using CIFS, it's pretty
> useless with the 126 files per directory limitation.
>
> __Have I missed some command line switch or option for CIFS mount___  that
> will restrict mount's expectations to those which will be fully satisfied by
> the older version of Samba that is in use on the Buffalo TeraServer?

Although others saw something similar to this on FC6 with somewhat fewer
files (110 to 120 files),  it is likely
that this was the kernel bug introduced in FC6 and quickly fixed (FC6
changed the default blocksize
which caused filldir to fail for cifs which ended up having a block size
1/4 smaller than
before - and cifs did not expect/handle errors on filldir - this
(blocksize) has been fixed in the
Fedora kernels - and mainline cifs code now can handle errors on filldir).

If you run update on your FC6 kernel (or upgrade the kernel) I would
expect that it would fix this.