[linux-cifs-client] NOCMTIME and NOATIME

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 13 21:44:58 GMT 2007

Shirish noticed that the NOATIME and NOCMTIME flags that cifs sets in
new inodes
in order to prevent writes of the clients file access and file
modfication timestamps to the server
(we intended to use the servers instead) were getting overwritten in the
VFS.

Fixing this should help performance and also help applications that are
dependent on a more
consistent view of timestamps (if timestamps are sometimes from server
and sometimes
from client setting them, presumably we have cases in which "time
appears to go backwards" if
the time is off enough between client and server)