[linux-cifs-client] Re: SMB support still missing?

Shirish S Pargaonkar shirishp at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 9 00:40:15 GMT 2007

linux-cifs-client-bounces+shirishp=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org wrote on
02/08/2007 06:31:58 PM:

> On Feb 8 2007 18:29, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> >Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >
> >It does seem to me that it is some sort of name resolution issue, but it
may
> >have more to do with the multi-homed nature of your setup.
> >
> >Did you try:
> >
> >  mount.cifs //CL0/c /mnt
>
> Yes, that one _fails_ with "mount error 112 = Host is down" (though
tcpdump
> _does_ show that cifs connects to port 139 and then disconnects using
FIN)

> >If mount.cifs is not converting the case, that should fix the problem.
> >Curious to know...
>

> Jan
> --
> ft: http://freshmeat.net/p/chaostables/

This is what Steve had mailed me once, a while ago....

Win9x and Windows ME and OS/2 only listen on port 139

WindowsNT 4 (?) and later listen on port 445 and port 139.

When you connect on the older port 139, you are supposed to send a
RFC1001 (NBSS Session Request to indicate your client netbios name, but
the problem is that you don't know the target netbios name of the server
- which is why the either needs to support the fake name "*SMBSERVER" or
the client needs to specify the "servernetbiosname=<name>" option on
mount to identify which name on the server to try to connect to.

So
1) try tcp  connection on  445,
    then if it works send SMB negprot
2) else try tcp connection on port 139
    then if it works send nbss request to *SMBSERVER or to the name
specified on servernetbiosname
    (cifs really should do an ASTAT command and list the valid names and
find one if that approach fails but we don't have code for this yet)