[linux-cifs-client] Re: SMB support still missing?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Feb 9 00:29:38 GMT 2007

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I tried the various suggestions from the last mails, but nothing of
> that worked. --verbose did not return anything useful. It's the kernel
> module that returns -EHOSTDOWN.

> Eventually I found out that this one works:
>
> 	mount.cifs //cl0/c /mnt -o servernetbiosname=CL0
>
> So what did I change? Casing. Note that "CL0" is entirely uppercase.
> Although strange, it actually coincides with how LANMAN works.
> Everything is uppercased in lanman, hostnames, usernames, heck, even
> plaintext passwords (samba-smbd has a good time trying a ton of
> combinations in such setups).
>
> No other options like sec=none or thelike were needed. Login as
> anonymous worked directly.
>

> Please consider updating the cifs kernel module to account for the LM
> oddity of uppercasing things. (Then, smbfs can finally be ripped out I
> hope.)

...assuming that's really the problem.

It does seem to me that it is some sort of name resolution issue, but it may
have more to do with the multi-homed nature of your setup.

Did you try:

  mount.cifs //CL0/c /mnt

?

If mount.cifs is not converting the case, that should fix the problem.

Curious to know...

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org