[linux-cifs-client] SMB support still missing?

Matt Woodson mwoodson at gurulabs.com
Sun Feb 4 22:05:18 GMT 2007

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

Jan,

Can you see more information if you use the --verbose with the mount -t
cifs option?  I was seeing something similar a few weeks back when
trying to mount a share that shouldn't have required authentication.
mount -t smbfs was working.  From wireshark, and higher log level
settings in samba, it appears that smbfs will attempt a username first,
if that's unsuccessful, it will send a null user.  I couldn't get cifs
to send a null user.  Supposedly user= is supposed to work, but I was
unable to make it work.  sec=none is supposed to disable the error
messages you see in dmesg.

The --verbose option would verify that cifs wasn't sending a null user,
just a username that wasn't needed.   I am still waiting for a reply to
see if anyone else has seen anything similar.  Just curious what your's
showed.

Just a thought,

Woody