[linux-cifs-client] SMB support still missing?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Feb 3 21:18:26 GMT 2007

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> Steve will have a much better handle on this, I'm sure.
>>
>> Regarding nmblookup...
>> mount.cifs does not, as far as I know, rely on nmblookup, but it *does* need
>> to perform an NBT name resolution which is the same job that nmblookup does.
>>
>> It's odd about the IP addresses you're getting.  What's in your smb.conf.
>
> Don't tell me mount.cifs relies on smb.conf......

I didn't tell you that.  I told you I wanted to know why nmblookup was
behaving strangely.  I've been working with Samba for just about 10 years
now and I have never seen nmblookup send queries to the wrong set of
broadcast addresses.

> smb.conf is just the plain initial default config provided by
> samba: http://rafb.net/p/eN8zoF50.html

I wanted to see the output of the nmblookup tool so that I could verify that
mount.cifs could correctly resolve the cl0 name.  So far, we don't have an
answer to that question.  If nmblookup had correctly resolved the name then
we could assume that mount.cifs could do the same.

The "Host is down" error message from mount.cifs suggests that name
resolution is failing.  The problems you are seeing from nmblookup suggest
that there is some misconfiguration, somewhere, that is causing the problem.
 I wanted to see the smb.conf file because there are options (specifically
the "interfaces" option) that *could* create such a problem.

As it is, I don't have enough clues to help figure out where the problem
really is.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org