[linux-cifs-client] SMB support still missing?

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at linux01.gwdg.de
Sat Feb 3 21:32:52 GMT 2007

On Feb 3 2007 15:18, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

>> smb.conf is just the plain initial default config provided by
>> samba: http://rafb.net/p/eN8zoF50.html
>
>I wanted to see the output of the nmblookup tool so that I could verify that
>mount.cifs could correctly resolve the cl0 name.  So far, we don't have an
>answer to that question.  If nmblookup had correctly resolved the name then
>we could assume that mount.cifs could do the same.

Oh sorry, looks like I got distracted. Of course, cl0 is available (given that
eth0 has the subnet where cl0 is on as the first address):

querying cl0 on 192.168.222.255
192.168.222.33 cl0<00>

>The "Host is down" error message from mount.cifs suggests that name
>resolution is failing.

But it works for mount.smbfs (which, I think, also uses NMB, or at least DNS,
unless you give -o ip)

>  The problems you are seeing from nmblookup suggest
>that there is some misconfiguration, somewhere, that is causing the problem.
> I wanted to see the smb.conf file because there are options (specifically
>the "interfaces" option) that *could* create such a problem.

Jan
--
ft: http://freshmeat.net/p/chaostables/