[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS: no mounting of WIN-98SE-PCs

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Tue Aug 14 15:31:39 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 14 August 2007, Chris Smith wrote:
> In 'man mount.cifs'

Realizing now that mount.cifs is a helper provided by Samba and not part of
the cifs kernel module.

I guess this is one of the difficulties with cifs - that the mount helper and
the kernel are not in sync (I'm using samba-3.0.25b). However,
since "mount -t cifs" calls mount.cifs, this seems to be an issue that should
somehow be addressed. There is no mention of "servern=<arg>" in the
mount.cifs or kernel documentation (fs/cifs/README or
Documentation/filesystems/cifs.txt), only on the website:
http://pserver.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/linux-cifs-client-guide.pdf

I know it's the "unix way" to have follow practically disparate pieces of
documentation all over the place but I keep hoping that these scenarios will
oneday improve.

--
Chris