[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS: no mounting of WIN-98SE-PCs

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 14 14:50:57 GMT 2007

> With previous version of linux I had no problems to mount
> Win98-PCs with "smbfs".
> However this appears no longer no longer possible with "cifs"?

Win98 can be mounted with cifs, but since Win98 does not support
using port 445 (older windows uses a different port which requires
knowing the server's 15 byte netbiosname) and does not support
using DNS names directly you need to add the netbios
name of the server to the list of options passed ("servern"
ie the servernetbiosname)

instead of:

mount -t cifs //192.168.x.x/c /mnt/pc/x

try

mount -t cifs //192.168.x.x/c /mnt/pc/x -o servern=pc1

Might be nice to add the code to mount.cifs.c to do this
automatically ie to issue an "adapter status" RFC1001 call
to lookup the possible netbios names based by sending this
request to the server's ip address.  This is not really
deterministic since more than one server netbios name, ie one
ending in 16th byte 0x20, could be present, but it good
enough in most cases, and presumably what smbclient
(and the similar user space connect code which smbfs uses).