[linux-cifs-client] CIFS: no mounting of WIN-98SE-PCs

Edgar Dombrowski dj3pu at t-online.de
Sat Aug 11 15:17:20 GMT 2007

Hallo, SAMBA-friends

I need your help.
With previous version of linux I had no problems to mount
Win98-PCs with "smbfs".
However this appears no longer no longer possible with "cifs"?
I used the following command (with/without username given)
command:
mount -t cifs //192.168.x.x/c /mnt/pc/x
Reply: Password:xyxyxyx            mount error 112 = Host is down
   Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

dmesg | tail:
   CIFS VFS: Error connecting to IPv4 socket. Aborting operation
   CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -113
   eth0: no IPv6 routers present
   CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 114 mid 1
   CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
   CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 114 mid 1
   CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
   CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 114 mid 1
   CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
At the desktop can access with "network -> smb -> workgroup -> e.g. pc1
Konqueror lists "smb:/pc1/c" with is ok.

Looking the manual pages "mount.cifs" did not help!

Apparently then "mount error 112" above is popular.
However "cifs" enables mounting of Win XP!

How can this problem beeing solved. Does CIFS no longer recognizes
FAT32 files?

Thank you for your assístance

Edgar from Munich/Germany