[linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs umount panic on centos5 (update 8)

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 18:42:56 GMT 2007

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 09:26:48 -0700, Narasimha Valiveti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This may not be related to cifs unmount (as I have seen a similar panic
> during NFS umount also),
> just wanted to check whether anyone has seen this on centos5 (or rhel5).
> With centos5 and latest
> updates installed, I am seeing a panic during CIFS and NFS unmounts. Here
> is the stack:
>
>        process: umount.cifs
>
>        shrink_dcache_for_umount+0x2e
>        generic_shutdown_super+0x16
>        kill_anon_super+0x9
>        deactivate_super+0x52
>        sys_umount+0x1f0
>        . . .
>
> [root at h22 ~]# uname -a
> Linux h22 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jul 10 06:50:22 EDT 2007 i686 i686
> i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Has anyone encountered this on rhel 5 (centos 5) ?. I have seen some
> change log description of this in 18 and 19 kernels, but not sure whether
> its
> completely fixed yet and which patch version fixed it. Any pointers would
> help.
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.19
> <http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.18>

kernel 2.6.18 (cifs 1.45) has a cifs bug that is known to cause
system crashes.  I don't know if your problem is related but check out
this CentOS bug report.  The patched cifs.ko is available for this
particular bug.

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1776

Also, test kernels with cifs 1.48 are available for RHEL and you can use
them in CentOS.  The info is in that bug report.

Akemi