[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS non-existant recursive directory

Peter Cook cookpj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 16:43:56 GMT 2007

Thanks for the prompt responses Steve. I apologize on taking so long to
reply--I had to convince Ubuntu that it wanted to work correctly with a
custom kernel (no easy task) so that I could compile in 1.50. If interested,
there is some really poorly written documentation on their custom kernel
compilation here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild , which also has
a link to using git to pull from their current development tree, which is
what I did. Their current development version is 2.6.22-9 according to uname
-r, and I replaced their cifs with 1.50 as well as patching with ck's ck1
patch set.

The good news is that 1.50 seems to have fixed the permissions errors I was
working around before. I can leave LinuxExtensionsEnabled set to 1 and mount
successfully. The share now honors the uid and gid that I specifiy, albeit
ignoring my file_mode and dir_mode requests. Using the nounix option worked
as you described (essentially LinuxExtensionsEnabled to 0), which then
honors the uid, gid, file_mode and dir_mode as specified in the mount.

Here is the command I used to mount:
sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.2.2/mp3 /media/fileserver -o
iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,credentials=/etc/cifspw,sync,dirsync,uid=maytag,gid=mp3

Unfortunately, I am still having the same problem with the "ghost" recursive
directory, as originally described (or as seen in detail here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3055182#post3055182 ).

To update on that thread slightly, I was able to replicate the ghost
directory problem on a separate Ubuntu system using the same mount commands,
albeit using the LinuxExtensionsEnabled 1 workaround due to the older
version of cifs in the non-custom kernel.

Possibly relevant information:
On the client:
package samba is version: 3.0.24-2ubuntu1
package smbfs is version: 3.0.24-2ubuntu1

On the server, samba, smbfs, samba-common are all of the same version.

Could the problem be server side? Possibly something I have wrong in my
smb.conf?

Thanks again for your time and responses.

-Peter

--
Peter Cook
cookpj at gmail.com