[linux-cifs-client] odd cifs mount question

joeystanford joey at stan4d.net
Sat Apr 28 17:53:43 GMT 2007

Steve French-2 wrote:

> The likely cause of your problem is:
>
> 1) your server's uids do not match your client's uids

Yep, that was it. When I disable /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled it
works as desired.

I can't seem to get winbind to work appropriately because I'm connecting to
a locked down samba 3 server that ships with the Western Digital My Book
external NAS system.  I can't configure the needed options on the NAS.

So, smbfs works out of the box but is REALLY flaky and slow. cifs works
great with the extensions disabled but is not what I would consider to be
the optimal solution. I grabbed an XP box to test (I'm a linux only user)
and it can mount the drive just fine without any issues whatsoever. It's
fast too.

> We have considered adding a mechanism to optionally:
>
> 1) allow the user to specify a remap list of uids (some old nfs servers
> did
> this although based on a server side remapping daemon) or upcall to
> winbind
> to do this
>
> and/or
>
> 2) allow the user to turn off the reporting of uid/gid (and mode?) on
> remote
> files even if Unix Extensions are negotiated (use a default uid/gid as we
> do
> for mounts to Windows)

I vote for either but #2 might be more interesting.  At this point usability
of the 1TB NAS is sub-optimal and I may just end up returning it and instead
get a 1TB drive to attach to a server running freenas.  Pity.