[linux-cifs-client] Re: odd cifs mount question

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 08:18:58 GMT 2007

On 4/26/07, Joey Stanford  wrote:

> Environment: Ubuntu Linux cifs mount to a remote Samba v3 server.
>
> /etc/fstab:
> //199.45.163.151/MUSIC    /media/amphora-music    cifs
> user,noauto,credentials=/home/joey/.smbcredentials,uid=joey    0    0
>
> Gives me:
>
> drwx------  3 www-data root     0 2007-04-23 15:19 amphora-music
>
> instead of
>
> drwx------  3 joey joey     0 2007-04-23 15:19 amphora-music
>
> What am I doing incorrectly?

Specifying uid on the mount is usually not necessary if your server has
turned on the Unix Extensions (which is the default if not specified in
smb.conf) because the uid on the server for each file will be reported to
the client.  The likely cause of your problem is:

1) your server's uids do not match your client's uids  (you could solve this
by e.g. running winbind to the same domain controller on both systems),  If
your uids don't match on the two systems then you could temporarily disable
the Unix Extensions before your mount (you can reenable afterwards before
different mounts are ttempted) e.g. "echo 0 >
/proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled"  This will allow the uid parm to work
(since without the unix extensions turned on cifs uses the default uid and
gid owner (for files) using the value which you have specified on mount)

We have considered adding a mechanism to optionally:

1) allow the user to specify a remap list of uids (some old nfs servers did
this although based on a server side remapping daemon) or upcall to winbind
to do this

and/or

2) allow the user to turn off the reporting of uid/gid (and mode?) on remote
files even if Unix Extensions are negotiated (use a default uid/gid as we do
for mounts to Windows)

Steve