[linux-cifs-client] With CIFS POSIX mkdir support - mkdir over cifs mounts almost 1/3 faster

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 12:26:41 GMT 2007

SambaXP going well - Jeremy Allison and I gave a talk on the improved Linux
CIFS client and the newer CIFS POSIX Protocol extensions - and we finished
some key code.

With the new cifs posix mkdir improvement (finished yesterday and just
merged into cifs-2.6.git tree, Samba server requires current 3.0.25):
Running connectathon test1 (7 level deep dir creation, 1 file in each of
21845 directories)
35% fewer frames sent, test completes 28% faster.  Big performance
improvement.

Now on to doing the same thing for Open/Create/Mknod ...

And if we moved this code earlier (leveraging the Linux "lookup intents") we
could cut one more network frame out (of each mkdir and open) and improve
the performance even more.

Steve