[linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs and kthread_run / kernel_thread

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Sun Apr 1 19:12:07 GMT 2007

>Hi all,
>
>I would like to use cifs inside linux-vserver guests. Discussion this with the
>vserver people, we found that cifs is using the new kthread_run and the old
>kernel_thread interface for starting kernel-threads. The old-style interface
>renders cifs unusable inside a vserver-guest :-(
>
>My questions:
>
>i) Are there newer versions of cifs, where only kthread_run is used in all
>places?

No - IIRC the original patch (for the switch of cifs from kernel_thread
to kthread) had a
minor implementation problem in handling the cifs_demultiplex thread, so
this one small
area was left with the old style.

>iii) Is it difficult to switch to the new interface?

No, I don't think so, but I have not investigated it.  We would be happy
to review and test a patch for this though.