[linux-cifs-client] Problem with mounting a Samba share using mount.cifs

fafek2.mailing fafek2.mailing at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 14:50:23 GMT 2006

Hi,

The problem sounds very easy, but I can't resolve it.

Samba is running on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and computer, on which I want to
mount a volume use Ubuntu too.

So, I'm typing to Terminal

    /sudo mount -t cifs //myhost-main/Shared /mnt/myhost-shared/

I returns an error:

    /mount error: could not find target server. TCP name
    myhost-main/Shared not found
    No ip address specified and hostname not found

    /

However, when I use an IP address instead of hostname it works. I can't
use an IP address because DHCP assigns random addresses (however, every
address starts with 192.168.0.x) and I will not be able to automount
volume on startup by a entry in fstab file.

Help, please. What's wrong and what can I do?

Best Regards,
Rafal Ryba
fafek2.mailing at gmail.com