[linux-cifs-client] Possible problems with lots of cifs mount

brendan powers brendan0powers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 20:03:11 GMT 2006

I am having odd issues with cifs mounts on some linux terminal
servers. There are 60+ cifs mounts on each server. 3 Mounts for each
user. One for a public drive(read only), andother for there home
folder(rw), and one for the local media on there thin client(rw). All
the public and home folder mounts go to the same server, but there
credentials are different for each mount. The problem is that
sometimes, one of these mounts will cause any process that accesses it
to become unresponsive and use as much cpu as possible. Its not
deadlocked, because the process is running.

I'm not sure what causes this problem. Is seems to regulalry happen
during the day, but i can't always reproduce the problem. I think the
problem may be cause by some sort of threading issue in the cifs
kernel module.

Does anyone have any ideas about this issue?

My Enviroment
mount.cifs version 1.6
OS Debian sarge 3.1
Kervernel versions tested 2.6.16.7, 2.6.17.11
Server for public folders and home directories Windows Server 2003
Server for thin client media shares .0.21a-Debian