[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS and NTLMv2

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 31 17:38:02 GMT 2006

CIFS has NTLMv2 support (e.g. specifying "sec=NTLMv2" or in
/proc/fs/cifs/ExtendedSecurity) but it will not work to some servers
including versions of Windows until the client is modified to send the
server/domain name within the NTLMv2 security blob.    Samba server is less
strict about that so NTLMv2 mounts work to that.

I have been fairly busy, and wanted to do this right (handling the case of
a very long server name and/or domain name)  so had not finished it yet.

I do appreciate offers to help (even in simply testing).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com