[linux-cifs-client] Re: Inconsistent permissions on creation

simo idra at samba.org
Sat Oct 28 14:03:28 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 15:44 +0200, Ohad Lutzky wrote:
> > So do you have a different behavior of wget when run on a local
> > filesystem than when it is run on a CIFS one?
>
> Yes, I do - definetely.
>
> On a local filesystem,
> $ wget google.com
> (snip)
> 15:41:23 (159.58 MB/s) - `index.html' saved [3012]
> $ ls -l index.html
> -rw-r--r-- 1 ohad ohad 3012 2006-10-28 15:41 index.html
>
> On a cifs-mounted filesystem, same action,
> $ ls -l index.html
> -rwxr--r-- 1 ohad Domain Users 3012 2006-10-28 15:39 index.html
>
> Now, this isn't that big a deal with wget - but it is with svn - where
> I get the exact same behavior - on a cifs-mounted filesystem, ALL
> files get chmodded u+x on creation, not just the executable ones. On a
> local filesystem, only specially-marked files (which were comitted as
> executables to svn) get +x.

Ok, can you try first by setting: map archive = no in smb.conf on the
server?

If that solves the problem and you need DOS bits I'd suggest you make
sure you have xattrs available on your filesystem and use the following
configuration:

map archive = no
map hidden = no
map read only = no
map system = no
store dos attributes = yes

This will avoid using execute bits to save DOS attributes and instead
will save them in an extended attribute.

> > If so than we have a bug or at least a feature request.
>
> Where would I put that?

evenutally https://bugzilla.samba.org
Select CifsVfs as product and select enhancement as severity (unless you
think it is a real bug).

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce