[linux-cifs-client] Re: Inconsistent permissions on creation

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 27 15:01:18 GMT 2006

>> What is the "create mask" in your server's smb.conf (if "create mask" or
>> equivalent e.g. "create mode" is not specified in smb.conf, new files
>> will get mode 744 - I usually make it 0777)?
>>

> Well, I left it at default, so it's 744 - but I don't want it to be that.
>
> I want files not to be executable by default, but that a user will be
> able to make them executable (just like normal filesystems)

Default mode on new files depends first on what the application requests
on create, but can
be less than that if umask is set for the client process (on mine e.g.
it is 022) or remotely if
smb.conf umask is set, e.g. on mine was 0744 (presumably would be
similar to what would happen
if the local process's umask was 033).

Presumably wget is setting the attributes explicitly after file create

Watching the output of "strace touch newfile"
touch seems to create files with mode 0666, which due to your umask
would end up with:

    0666 & 0744 = 0644

if you had a create mask in smb.conf of 0766 wouldn't that give what you
want?