[linux-cifs-client] Re: "Cannot allocate memory"

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 23 17:18:05 GMT 2006

 > mount -t cifs -o
credentials=/etc/smbpasswd.cifs,directio,uid=         etc.
 > mount error 12 = Cannot allocate memory
 >
 > Can you please, please take a moment and share your thoughts with me
on this error if you have any time at all for this?

Could you enable cifs debug message logging and retry, appending the
corresponding section of dmesg output to see if we can narrow down which
call is running out of memory?

"echo 3 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI"   (enables informational messages, and
logging of cifs return codes)
then
"dmesg" (or equivalent) after the mount.