Fw: [linux-cifs-client] SAMBA no longer works (FC5 to FC5): READ op. FAILS

Igor Chudov ichudov at Algebra.Com
Thu Oct 19 14:19:55 GMT 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 09:14:20AM -0500, Igor Chudov wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 10:22:48PM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> > What I thought Igor was saying was that:
> >
> >    mount -t smbfs //server/share /mnt -o userid=""
> >
> > worked but
> >
> >    mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt -o userid=""
> >
> > only partially worked, ie mount succeeded but read failed.
>
> Yes.
>
> I just tried again. We have a companywide "shared drive" that is
> hosted on a unix box. People using Windows machines just connect to it
> without supplying password. (it is passwordless).
>
> I am trying to get this CIFS to do just that. Here are two tries,
> nonoe worked because CIFS does what it wants instead of what I want
> (passes root as user);
>
> FIRST TRY
>
> frankie:root:/etc ==>mount.cifs //pfs/lts /v -o 'user=,pass=' -v ; ls -l /v; umount /v
> parsing options: user=,pass=
>
> skipping empty user mount parameter
>
> mount.cifs kernel mount options unc=//pfs\lts,ip=10.1.8.23,user=root,ver=1,pass=
> ls: reading directory /v: Invalid argument
> total 0

Also, regarding these Invalid argument failures:

I did strace ls /v and got this:

open("/v", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY) = 3
fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0777, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
fcntl64(3, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)         = 0
getdents64(3, 0x8b2ca8c, 4096)          = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
write(2, "ls: ", 4ls: )                     = 4
write(2, "reading directory /v", 20reading directory /v)    = 20
write(2, ": Invalid argument", 18: Invalid argument)      = 18
write(2, "\n", 1

You can see that open directory for reading worked, but actual getdents64() failed with EINVAL.