[linux-cifs-client] charset convertion issue with linux mount.cifs and samba 3.0.23

Christopher Fabritius ubuntu at skadaha.dk
Mon Oct 16 11:51:13 GMT 2006

I have a question regarding charset support in the CIFS mount tool:

I have a CIFS share (running samba 3) on a FreeBSD box with locale
iso-8859-1 and a unix charset option of da_DK.UTF-8.... If I mount this
from a linux box (ubntu edgy) without iocharset options, some of my
filenames have '?' marks in them in place of the expected characters...
I have attempted to use the  iocharset mount option, but i receive the
error ' mount error 79 = Can not access a needed shared library'

Based on a strace of the mount operation, the required locale settings
seems to be correctly available, so I'm not quite sure how to resolve
it :)

Any suggestions?