[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS VFS: No writable handles for inode

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 3 19:23:53 GMT 2006

> When mounting a share from another samba server 3.22 from another linux
> machine I got the following over and over again in my logs until I
> unmounted it
>
> CIFS VFS: No writable handles for inode
>
> I wrote a file, then left it idle for a while and this still kept coming
> out in

That would indicate that the file was closed while it still had dirty pages,
which does not sound likely unless the server or network connection temporarily
crashed and we were not able to reconnect - and even that sounds unlikely in
your scenario.

In fs/cifs/file.c it would be helpful to change the following (and rebuild/reload cifs.ko)
                        open_file = find_writable_file(CIFS_I(mapping->host));
                        if (!open_file) {
                                cERROR(1, ("No writable handles for inode"));
                                rc = -EBADF;
                        } else {

                        open_file = find_writable_file(CIFS_I(mapping->host));
                        if (!open_file) {
				dump_stack();
                                cERROR(1, ("No writable handles for inode"));
                                rc = -EBADF;
                        } else {

so that we could see who is calling write after close (cifs needs an open file handle to be able to write).