[linux-cifs-client] SAMBA no longer works (FC5 to FC5): READ op. FAILS

Igor Chudov ichudov at Algebra.Com
Mon Oct 2 15:19:54 GMT 2006

I had a directory that was samba shared, from a server that runs FC5 to
a client (laptop) that runs FC5 also.

Everything worked (except when SAMBA became CIFS, anonymous logons
stopped working), it was a read only share.

Starting from a few days ago, it no longer works. I can still get
directory listings, mount the "shared drive", etc, however, when I
actually read the file (with cat, wc, mplayer etc) I get a strange
"permission denied" error. That happens even though the perms are all
good looking, I still cannot read. I think that I can open the file
descriptor for reading, but the actual read operation fails.

After a while of frustration, I ditched SAMBA entirely and switched to
NFS, but I would like to know just what could have happened?

(we have one dinky MS Windows computer at home, that we do not run a
lot, but it would be nice to have samba available, though it is not
hugely important).