[linux-cifs-client] Re: linux-cifs-client Digest, Vol 36, Issue 18

Paul Edgar pedgar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 17:37:17 GMT 2006

Steve French wrote:

>> I am seeing a different issue between cifs and samba.
>>
>> my smb server is fc4 and the client is rhel5
>>

>> When I mount using -t cifs and uid=nobody(which is the owner of the file
>> on the server) I see the following permissions:
>>
>> -rwxrwSrwt 1 nobody root      1758 Oct  5 18:51 db2_install_2.6.sh
>>

>> However, if I mount using rhel4 and -t smbfs then the permissions are:
>>
>> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      1758 Oct  5 18:51 db2_install_2.6.sh
>>
>> In the first case I cannot execute the sh script from the server, I have
>> to copy it locally(along with the associated files), change permissions
>> and then run it.  If I just copy the sh script over, it fails to
>> open/execute the files I need on the server.
>>

>> unix extensions are set to no in smb.conf.
>>
>> Any help would be welcome.
>>
>> Paul Edgar
>> Dynamic Content Delivery
>>

> Try setting the default mode to whatever you prefer by adding the
> option "file_mode=" on mount.
> It is unusual to specify a uid of nobody - do you really want that id
> to own files on the mount.
> When you copy the file locally, what id would you have own the file -
> presumably you would want the
> same on this mount.
>
> Also note that you can disable permission checking on the client by
> setting the "noperm" check on
> mount (permission checks still are enforced on the server, based on
> the username specified on mount)

Tried all of the nopern, file_mode and dir_mode options.  it really
appears that setting security = share is the issue.  if security = user
and I login then it appears to work correctly, but since this is a lab
share, I really did not want to have to manage all the logins.  However,
when I connect from any windows machine to this server, I can edit
files, copy files, delete files, and execute files from the mounted
share.  In Linux, none of the above can be done, using cifs and security
= share.

Paul Edgar
Dynamic Content Delivery - IBM