[linux-cifs-client] Re: linux-cifs-client Digest, Vol 36, Issue 18

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 28 16:20:15 GMT 2006

> I am seeing a different issue between cifs and samba.
>
> my smb server is fc4 and the client is rhel5
>

> When I mount using -t cifs and uid=nobody(which is the owner of the file
> on the server) I see the following permissions:
>
> -rwxrwSrwt 1 nobody root      1758 Oct  5 18:51 db2_install_2.6.sh
>

> However, if I mount using rhel4 and -t smbfs then the permissions are:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      1758 Oct  5 18:51 db2_install_2.6.sh
>
> In the first case I cannot execute the sh script from the server, I have
> to copy it locally(along with the associated files), change permissions
> and then run it.  If I just copy the sh script over, it fails to
> open/execute the files I need on the server.
>

> unix extensions are set to no in smb.conf.
>
> Any help would be welcome.
>
> Paul Edgar
> Dynamic Content Delivery

Try setting the default mode to whatever you prefer by adding the option
"file_mode=" on mount.
It is unusual to specify a uid of nobody - do you really want that id to
own files on the mount.
When you copy the file locally, what id would you have own the file -
presumably you would want the
same on this mount.

Also note that you can disable permission checking on the client by
setting the "noperm" check on
mount (permission checks still are enforced on the server, based on the
username specified on mount)