[linux-cifs-client] permission difference between CIFS and SMBFS?

Paul Edgar pedgar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 21:51:56 GMT 2006

I am seeing a different issue between cifs and samba.

my smb server is fc4 and the client is rhel5

When I mount using -t cifs and uid=nobody(which is the owner of the file
on the server) I see the following permissions:

-rwxrwSrwt 1 nobody root      1758 Oct  5 18:51 db2_install_2.6.sh

However, if I mount using rhel4 and -t smbfs then the permissions are:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      1758 Oct  5 18:51 db2_install_2.6.sh

In the first case I cannot execute the sh script from the server, I have
to copy it locally(along with the associated files), change permissions
and then run it.  If I just copy the sh script over, it fails to
open/execute the files I need on the server.

unix extensions are set to no in smb.conf.

Any help would be welcome.

Paul Edgar
Dynamic Content Delivery