[linux-cifs-client] permission difference between CIFS and SMBFS?

Linux Lover linuxlover992000 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 23 02:32:04 GMT 2006

I just tried "mount -t cifs" (for the first time)
instead of "mount -t smbfs" that I usually use - all
other parameters in the mount command identical.

I was surprised to discover that instead of getting
the access control dictated by the smb.conf on the
server side (as in SMBFS), CIFS would pass the native
permissions on that Linux based Samba server.

I am pretty sure this difference is by design, but
since my userid's uid in the client system is
different than the one in the server side, I cannot
access key directories in the share...

For example, if on the server side I have:

drwxr-x---  42 lynn lynn 4096 Nov 14 23:55 data

mounting it via CIFS, I get on the client:

drwxr-x--- 42 500 500    0 2006-11-14 23:55 data

but mounting it SMBFS, I get on the client

drwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 2006-11-14 23:55 data

Which lets me access that share as if I were on a
Windows machine.

Any idea how to workaround this? That is, still use
CIFS but not restrict access to the user who
successfully mounted that share (using sudo)?

Thanks!
Lynn